Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Songkran -- The Mother Of All Water Battles

Songkran (derived from the Sanskrit word "sankranti") is the Thai New Year (by the Thai Lunar Calendar) Festival. It last 3 or 4 days and is the biggest festival in Thailand. Activities include a Miss Songkran beauty pageant, sand temple building contests, parades and processions from the temples. But by far the biggest activity is the water fights. Everyone throws water on everyone else. If you are outside during this time you will get wet. And I don't mean a little wet. I mean totally drenched. And this is totally expected. The only way to avoid getting soaked is to stay indoors for 3 days. I cut my trip to Vietnam short (only spent 2 weeks there) because I wanted to return to Thailand in time for Songkran. I did, and had so much fun!

Lessons learned from Songkran:

  1. On the tuktuk ride from the airport to my hotel I got splashed with water 4 times. This is well below the national average.
  2. Nothing, not a squirt gun, a supersoaker, or any other high tech water weapon can beat the good old fashioned bucket.
  3. It's the only time when you can pour a bucket of water over someone's head, and they will smile and thank you
  4. Ammo (water) can be enhanced by placing a huge block of ice in your supply barrel, or with food coloring
  5. Keep essentials (money, cell phone) in a waterproof pouch; then you're good to go.

No comments: