Saturday, January 23, 2016

Quaint little town


I am staying in a small town just outside the park gate. I thought my room would be your basic motel room, but it turned out to be essentially a one-bedroom apartment with full kitchen and separate bedroom!


Herds of elk wander through the town daily. I saw one elk climb the step to the porch of a house and rub his nose on the front door. Once an elk came right up to me, clearly expecting food. Another time as I came out of a pub. an elk was just standing there in front of me. He froze and I froze. We both stood there staring at each other. I think it was the same elk from before. He started to approach me again. I told him "no food for you!" and walked away.


The town has two gas stations and just a few stores. No Starbucks or other chain fast food places.

Limited bison hunting is allowed outside the park. One afternoon I saw bison hunters unloading a wagon load of bison meat.



No comments: