Saturday, June 28, 2008

Hot! Hot! Hot!

This is Arrow's "Manshop". You may not recognize the name, but you know him. He's the guy who wrote the ubiquitous "Hot! Hot! Hot!" song. He sells a strange combination of stuff in his shop: snacks, t-shirts, cds, luggage. I did three more dives (#17 - 19) with Scuba Montserrat (extremely cool people and I recommend them highly!), this time with Emmy as the divemaster and Andrew staying with the boat The first one was "drift diving" -- where we just allow ourselves to drift with the current, and the boat follows with us so it is right there when we surface. This way we don't have to expend any energy fighting the current, just enjoy the reefs. The second dive was the Bat Caves, which featured a cool underwater swim-thru between two caves. The female bats are all in the 1st cave and the male bats are all in the 2nd. We talked Charles (a local fisherman) into taking me scuba spearfishing for the last dive. I speared two fish on my first two tries! Charles made me look bad though -- he speared at least a dozen. Great fun! Now I'm going to see if Charles will cook it for me tonight. I was originally scheduled to leave here today, but I extended my stay another day because of the spearfishing opportunity, and because there is a big local music festival here tonight (an all-nighter type of thing).

I'm really enjoying the local specialty here, goat water, a thick goat soup spiced with cloves

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Spearfishing - COOL! I envy your experience... Our local shop in Sac is run by a spearfisher - I'll let you know when I tackle that one this winter.

Q

Anonymous said...

Maybe we should call you "Goat Boy 2", with all that goat in your belly! Monserrat sounds like a colorful gem. How did the all-nighter compare with Bomba's full moon party?
-Twirly

panini said...

Yeah spearfishing is COOL! I picked up a few tips on successful spearfishing from Charles, which I can pass on to you.

panini said...

The music thing was indeed an all-night affair, but it was quite different from the Bomba Shack party. For one thing, it was all locals, no tourists (except me). It was a lot less wild, and more of an opportunity for the local kids to display their musical talents and to get dressed up.

Anonymous said...

i dont know that song...