Sunday, June 22, 2008

St. John Got My Goat!

Today I took the ferry over to St. John in the US Virgin Islands. They are in the middle of their month-long summer Carnaval festival. Too bad I won't be here for the final days in July! I arrived just in time to catch the Coronation of Miss St. John and the inauguration of the Food Fair. There were lots of food and crafts booths. I found one booth that had Mutton Kallaloo.

Linguistic note: they use "mutton" here to refer to goat, whereas we use it to mean sheep. Kallaloo is a type of stew.

That booth was run by Miss St. John's aunt. She proudly wore a t-shirt supporting her niece. The mutton kallalloo was fantastic! It had chunks of goat meat and conch, with spinach and some other veggies, and spices. Yum!! I had been wanting to try goat meat since I arrive in the islands but it was surprisingly hard to come by. None of the tourist restaurants have it. You have to go to a very local West Indies restaurant to find it. But I finally got my goat!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Goat, haha!