Wednesday, June 8, 2022

2022 Swiss Alps Luxury Hike

I've done a lot of hiking before, but this is the first time I'm doing a luxury hike. This means instead of camping in tents, it's an inn-to-inn hike. You stay in fancy 4-star hotels (some with Michelin starred restaurants), and they shuttle your baggage from hotel to hotel. All you need to carry is a small day pack. Of course this luxury comes at a steep price, but you gotta splurge once in a while, right?  Right!

I got the idea from a couple of good friends who were contemplating a similar trip and we initially were considering doing the trip together. They ultimately decided not to do it, but the idea appealed to me so much that I went ahead with it on my own!

However, being a luxury hike does not mean it's an easy hike. It will be strenuous, very strenuous. A typical day is 8+ hours of hiking and a few thousand feet of elevation gain in the high mountains. The route I chose is from the Eiger to the Matterhorn, two of the most iconic mountains in the Swiss Alps.


 

The Eiger (13,015 ft) is considered one of the most challenging and dangerous mountains to climb. I've wanted to see this mountain since I saw the movie Eiger Sanction starring Clint Eastwood.









The Matterhorn (14,692 ft) is of course probably the most famous mountain in the Alps, with its steep faces and distinctive shape. This is where my trek will end.

Matterhorn ride at Disneyland






I am doing this hike solo, but I did hire a private guide who will be with me the whole way.  Hoping for clear weather (it rains a lot up there) so that I can take some good photos of the breathtaking scenery!


4 comments:

lavanya said...

Wow

Nihar said...

The hike sounds amazing. Can’t wait to see more pics and read more posts

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Really a beautiful places 🤩