Friday, February 20, 2009

It Takes A (Floating) Village


I blew off the rest of the tour group today and made my own tour.
Instead, I made my own tour. I hired a tuktuk (pronounced "took-took") to take me to lake Tonle Sap (literally means "freshwater lake" in Cambodian). Then I hired a boat to take me to the "Floating Village". When I got there a little Cambodian girl ran out to me with a camera, snapped a photo of me, and then ran away again. Hmmm.... I feel so exploited, haha!

Then I hired a river boat to take me around the lake to the "Floating Village". The Floating Village is an entire community of approximately 1200 floating houses.
There are floating schools, floating restaurants, floating basketball courts, floating markets... it's a veritable floating *world*!

They let me drive the boat all the way back (we switched back before reaching the floating Police Station, obviously).

Some videos here will be uploaded later when I get access to a fast connection (the ship internet is slow and expensive). Keep checking this blog entry for updates.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thats so cool!!!! but wouldnt it suck if someone got seasick n lived there.....

Anusha