Monday, March 16, 2009

"Khab Chai Lai Lai"

I'm not sure why it's spelled "Laos" in English, because the "s" is not pronounced at all. It's really "Lao" (rhymes with "now"). So I will say "Lao" from now on. BTW, I've been learning some Lao language so that I can talk to the local people at least a little bit. I can even read a little bit of the script! Here are a few phrases in Lao:








khab chai lai lai thank you very much
sabaideehello/good morning/etc
jao seu nyang?what is your name?
jao aanyu chaak pi? how old are you?
nee aan dai baw? can you read this?
mee maak phao sot baw? do you have fresh coconut?
baw pen nyang you're welcome/it's ok/never mind
ao iik neung bia one more beer please
hawn lai it's very hot
khoi hak jao i love you

5 comments:

Unknown said...

When I first read "Khab Chai Lai Lai" I thought these words are familiar in Hindi as you translate word for word it means "When are you bringing Tea".

Unknown said...

I like the same same words in Lao
much : lai
very much : lai lai
pretty: wai
very pretty: wai wai

Anonymous said...

you should use this line at a bar! "khoi hak jao"
LOB!

Anonymous said...

did you use those lines??
anu

panini said...

Yup! I used all these lines.