Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Ventiane, Capital of Lao

Ventiane (actually it's pronounced "Vieng Jen", but the French messed up everything as usual). I was very surprised by the size and development of Ventiane. Granted, it's the capital city of Lao but I was expecting something similar to the other two cities I visited in Lao -- Luang Prabang and Vang Vieng.
I could not have been farther from the mark. Ventiane has several high-rise condos and several five-star hotels. Just for fun, I walked into a luxury apartment building and inquired about the price -- and was totally shocked. The rent was almost comparable to rents in SF!!


The French influence is quite apparent here, in the architecture of many buildings, and there are several French bistros and restaurants. The bowling alley here is better than the one in Luang Prabang. There is a Chinese-Indian fusion restaurant here that is pretty good.

I spent about 4 days here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did u go bowling?.. By the way do u reply to these...