Sunday, June 9, 2024

Rapa Nui - Island of Mystery and Magic

 I'm back in Rapa Nui!  This is my fourth time on the island, and it feels very familiar!

The first thing you see when stepping off the plane is the "Iorana" sign. Iorana means "welcome" in the Rapa Nui language.


Towel art


There are many deep mysteries about this island and its original inhabitants, many of them surrounding the construction of the many large moai statues:

Moai with the tall ship Oosterschelde in background on the left 

Why were they built?  How were these multi-ton statues moved many miles without any machinery? Why were they all found knocked down at one point? What were the people like who built them? What eventually happened to them?


These mysteries are what initially attracted me to this island. I believe I have now solved all of these mysteries. But I will only reveal the answers if you buy me a beer and ask me in person.


Having been here many times, I have made many friends here among the locals and it is they who are the main attraction for me now on the island.

No comments: